Sunday, February 7, 2010

For the love of music

Rarely do I share about my love for music. Unless you're really close to me you probably don't know that my father is a musician. He has performed with several bands in his younger years until he finally decided he wanted to start his own band, The Viva Band, which he's had for over 30 years. As a child, I remember wanting to be a musician and even attempted a musical instrument while in the sixth-grade. I remember torturing the ears of my family as I practiced the clarinet after school and on weekends. My attempt at musical genius came to an end after a concert performance my bandmates and I put on, at the guidance of our music teacher. I remember the nice sounds, along with annoying squeeks, coming out of my wind-instrument as I missed notes, which were the result from nerves and lack of natural-born-clarinet-playing talent.

Although this experience did not impede my love for music, I didn't attempt another music instrument until my husband asked me to try my hand at the drums for a project he was working on for one of his classes in college. It was this project, approximately two and a half years ago, that made me realize my love for music burns as bright as always. Playing the drums came natural to me and after much practice, I played them while my husband played the guitar in one of his recording projects. It was not only fun but it was an experience that I'll never forget. I don't consider myself a natural performer, of any sort, but find myself in performer mode when needed. I'm sure many understand what I mean by this from personal experience.

As an adult, I find myself married to a musician who is talented enough to play three instruments (guitar, drums and bass). He's not only self-taught but also extremely passionate about his craft. His commitment to good music contributes to the continuous fostering of my love for music. There are many musicians that I call my favorites, but some are at a super-special level. In honor of great musical artists, here's one of my super-special favorites...

Artist: Sia
Song: Soon We'll Be Found

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stats